The D-Link Xtreme N™ Gigabit Router (DIR-655) is a 802.11n compliant device that delivers up to 14x faster speeds* and 6x farther range* than 802.11g while staying backward compatible with 802.11g devices. Connect the Xtreme N Gigabit Router to a cable or DSL modem and provide high-speed Internet access to multiple computers, game consoles, and media players. Create a secure wireless network to share photos, files, music, videos, printers, and network storage.
Powered by Xtreme N™ technology and equipped with three external antennas, this router provides superior wireless coverage for larger homes and offices, or for users running bandwidth-intensive applications. The DIR-655 also includes a 4-port 10/100/1000 Gigabit switch that connects Gigabit wired devices for enjoying lag-free network gaming and faster file transfers.
With wireless prioritization technology and our award-winning intelligent QoS engine, jitter-free Internet phone calls (VoIP), high-definition video streaming and Web gaming are achievable on your wired and wireless networks. Support for WEP, WPA™, and WPA2™ security standards ensure that you will be able to use the best possible encryption regardless of your other wireless devices. To prevent possible attacks from the Internet, the DIR-655 uses dual active firewalls (SPI & NAT) to help protect your valuable data. Below is a list of DIR-655 features.
- Intelligent QoS technology prioritizes both wired and wireless Internet traffic to enable enhanced gaming and phone calling (VoIP) experience
- Ideal for streaming HD video or streaming multiple applications simultaneously
- Dual active firewall protection (SPI & NAT) helps block malicious attacks on networks from the Internet
- Includes the latest wireless security (WEP, WPA & WPA2) features that help prevent unauthorized access
- Virtually no wireless dead spots
- Advanced Parental Controls
- Supports Windows® Connect Now (WCN) for easy wireless setup
- Automatic Firmware Update Notification
- E-mail Notification for Triggered Events
- Integrated Wireless Security Wizard
- Removable Antennas for Flexible Installation Options
- Wall Mountable to Save Desk Space
D-Link has created SharePort™ technology to bring more flexibility to your network. With SharePort technology you can connect a USB printer or storage device to your router and allow users to access them from anywhere on the network. Conveniently turn your existing USB printers and storage devices into network devices for everyone to share.
WHY INTELLIGENT QoS IS BETTER
With some routers, all wired and wireless traffic, including VoIP, Video Streaming, Online Gaming, and Web browsing are mixed together into a single data stream. By handling data this way, applications like video streaming could pause or delay. With D-Link’s Intelligent QoS Technology, wired and wireless traffic is analyzed and separated into multiple data streams. These streams are then categorized by sensitivity to delay, so applications like VoIP, Video Streaming, and Online Gaming are given priority over Web browsing. This enables multiple applications to stream smoothly to your TV or PC.
ADVANCED NETWORK SECURITY
The Xtreme N Gigabit Router supports the latest wireless security features to help prevent unauthorized access, be it from over a wireless network or from the Internet. Support for WPA™ and WPA2™ standards ensure that you will be able to use the best possible encryption regardless of your client devices. In addition, this Xtreme N router utilizes Dual Active Firewalls (SPI and NAT) to prevent potential attacks from across the Internet. Also, the DIR-655 uses advanced firewall features. The web-based user interface displays a number of advanced network management features including:
- Secure Multiple/Concurrent Sessions - The DIR-655 can pass through VPN sessions. It supports multiple and concurrent IPSec and PPTP sessions, so users behind the DIR-655 can securely access corporate networks.
Delivering best-in-class performance, network security, and coverage, the Xtreme N Gigabit Router (DIR-655) is the ideal centerpiece for your wireless network in the home or office.PROFESSIONAL STRENGTH INTERNET SECURITY AND PARENTAL CONTROL SERVICES
SECURESPOT 2.0™ (optional) proactively protects ALL networked devices in the home. It not only safeguards PCs like traditional Internet Security Suites, but also protects Mac’s and browser-enabled devices such as Game Consoles. Integrating Internet Security and Parental Controls into the router and utilizing services in-the-cloud lightens the load on the PC and brings professional strength technology to the consumer.
- Firewall Protection
- Parental Controls
- Parental Reporting and Alerts
- Identity Protection
- Pop-up Blocker
- Remote Management Console
- Spam Control
- Access Control
- Virus/Spyware Protection – Powered by McAfee®
WHAT THIS PRODUCT DOESXTREME N™ ROUTER BENEFITS
Create a wireless network to share high-speed Internet access with computers, game consoles, or media players from greater distances in your home or office. Use the DIR-655 in your home to surf the web, check email, instant message, and to get rid of the cables around the house. Use the DIR-655 in your office to share Internet connection and printer with multiple computers, saving additional office space.
- Intelligent QoS Technology.
- Xtreme N technology allows for farther home coverage*.
- Secure your wireless network using advanced WPA™ or WPA2™ encryption.
- Easy to get started with D-Link’s new Quick Router Setup Wizard.
- Backward compatible with 802.11g devices including game consoles and digital media players.
D-Link Green™ devices*** are about providing eco-friendly alternatives without compromising performance. They are designed to help conserve energy, protect our environment from harmful substances, and reduce waste by using recyclable packaging.
- Automatically powers down ports that have no link
- Budgets power output for different Ethernet cable lengths
- Includes wireless LAN scheduling, which can shut down your wireless network when not in use for further power savings
- Reduces energy consumption by using an Energy Star® qualified power adapter
PROTECTING THE ENVIRONMENT
- Complies with the European Union's RoHS directive that restricts the use of certain hazardous materials
- Uses recyclable packaging to help reduce waste that goes into the environment
WIRELESS FAMILIES COMPARISON
As part of the Xtreme N family, the DIR-655 contains features not found on the Wireless G or Rangebooster N families. Please see the chart for a comparison of features and recommended applications of the various wireless families.
Works with Windows Vista™
Allows easy management, high standards of wireless security, and various levels of compatibility
- DIR-655 has been designed by D-Link to Work with Windows Vista.
- Products that carry the Works with Windows Vista logo are designed to easily connect to Windows Vista and deliver a reliable experience.
D-Link’s Xtreme N router was rigorously tested and verified for compatibility with Intel’s Next-Gen Wireless N, utilizing intensive real-world testing conducted in typical home and enterprise environment scenarios. In Intel’s testing process, which was conducted over the period of several months, D-Link’s Xtreme N router met or exceeded Intel’s requirements for performance, extended range, co-existence with other 802.11b/g clients and access points, and the ability to eliminate Wi-Fi dead spots.
* Maximum wireless signal rate derived from IEEE Standard 802.11g and 802.11n specifications. Actual data throughput will vary. Network conditions and environmental factors, including volume of network traffic, buildings materials and construction, and network overhead, lower actual data throughput rate. Environmental factors will adversely affect wireless signal range. Wireless range and speed rates are D-Link RELATIVE performance measurements based on the wireless range and speed rates of a standard Wireless G product from D-Link. Maximum throughput based on D-Link 802.11n devices.
** Requires SharePort Client Utility installation on the PC.
SharePort upgrade is available for the hardware versions A2, A3, A4.
*** D-Link Green references contained herein apply to Hardware version A3 or later.
SharePort and SecureSpot 2.0 references contained herein apply to Firmware version 1.21 or later.
Windows Vista and the Windows logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Intel, the Intel Inside Logo, Intel Centrino and the Intel Centrino logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.